Cooking without using any oil is an upcoming trend. You might not expect it, but it is actually quite easy to leave the oil out of your cooking.
The food will taste just as nice and it has a lot of benefits regarding your health.
Personally, I love olive oil and I use it regularly for literally almost everything.
Olive oil is extremely healthy, loaded with beneficial fatty acids and powerful antioxidants. But probably like me, you use and consume way too much of it 🙂 So why not give oil-free cooking a try?
The ease of cooking with oil is without much effort replaced by other tools, which can result in even more tasteful food.
Guide to Cooking Without Oil
There are various methods you can choose when cooking oil-free:
- When baking, you can make use of fruit purée (like applesauce or mashed bananas) as a healthy replacement of oil. I can assure you, this makes your food taste extra nice.
- When sautéing and stir-frying, it is best to only add small amounts of water or broth as often as needed to cook your food. Keep stirring it regularly to make sure it will not burn.
- When roasting vegetables or other foods in the oven, it is really unnecessary to coat it with oil. Vegetables will brown on their own, just be a little more patient. Silicone ovenware is easy to use when you want to avoid your food to stick, but a piece of parchment paper will also do just fine.
- When you stove your food, you can make additional use of a flame diffuser. This diffuses the heat evenly and makes sure the pan will not get large burn rings.
- Steaming food is the perfect way to avoid oil.
Choose the Right Cookware
It is helpful to start with buying yourself a couple of high-quality non-toxic nonstick cookware to make sure your food does not stick. They make cooking without oil both easy and safe. You can choose a heavy-bottomed stainless steel pan, a ceramic-titanium pan or an enamel-coated cast iron pan.
A special nonstick pan will only last for a couple of years but can be used for all types of food. These pans are very easy to use. Stainless steel will last for years, but I found it more difficult to cook oil-free with it. Ceramic coated pans are mostly suited for vegetables, whilst cast iron can even go in the oven.
Some pans are not suited for aerosol spray oils, or should not be scrubbed with steel pads. Just make sure that you are informed about the use of the different pans.
Cooking oil-free might be a completely new thing for you. But once you learn how to cook without using any oil or butter, and experience the ease of it, I am sure that you will like it as much as I do.
Those are my tips for cooking without oil, keep in mind that will take some time and experimentation to get it right the first few times. Hopefully, you’ve found these tips useful 🙂